2006年7月3日月曜日

Without Knowing That...


I often work like this without knowing that...

Although a lot people work until late, why am I always so tired after a little bit of work? According to my contract, I only work six days a week and my workload is not too heavy at all. This often makes me feel that I am not patient or strong enough so that I would time to time try to train and improve myself. But I would give up soon because I am too tired.

Why am I like this? I thought for a while and found out that I had forgotten a very important but very simple thing. The six hours are just the employment part of my work!

Apart from being employed by a news agency, I have some freelance translation and writing jobs. In addition, I go to work as a garbage collector every evening, seven days a week. And at least a few days a week, I work on translation assignments until midnight and then read for half an hour. Among these jobs, I have no tight deadline only in the garbage collection job. I usually battle with time while I write news articles. As clients are kings, the deadlines for translation orders are usually quite tight. Actually, a freelancer is not that free. Then it would be rather strange if I were not tired at all!

However, I always feel that my workload is not that heavy. Although I tended to think in the past that I had to handle three times as much work as others just to prove that I was not lazy or stupid and forced me to do too much job, this problem has already solved. Then why do I still underestimate my workload?

After pondering about this for a while, I had another discovery. Actually, I have been unconsciously looked down on my freelance jobs! These jobs certainly used to be just sources of quick cash, but it is now very important sources of my real income as I have reduced the employment work a lot. Then I can consider these freelance jobs as very serious jobs… Having become conscious about this, I no longer have to put myself in self-imposed training sessions because I can say that I am as diligent as the people who work until late.

But I have to learn how to say no, anyway…

(Translated by myself from Chinese)

3 件のコメント:

JOEPSC さんのコメント...

When a job involves both physical and mental work, we feel tired too easily, especially for me who is past retirement age.

We work to feed ourselves, but should not go to the extent of being a workaholic. You should know about the Japanese work culture and the so-called karoshi.

匿名 さんのコメント...

Dear Peter,
This workload looks large indeed. I cannot judge but I can say that whenever I remember God, the strenght I need always comes for everything.
Love, Rev. V.

QUASAR9 さんのコメント...

Nice idea posting in both languages
Thanks!