2006年7月12日水曜日

A Pride in Pure Luck?

Maybe the achievements of my efforts are merely like a herd of penguins dancing on a gigantic iceberg of luck...

A rather strange thought came up to my mind yesterday. Am I better than a beggar I saw recently near the railway station in my neighbourhood?

This slim man covered by filth kowtowed furiously to attract passers-by’s attention. He had no leg. I guess he was a migrant beggar from the mainland China, probably taken to Hong Kong by the mafia. Although I felt pity, I passed by without dropping a penny.

I am sure I am better off than this guy without legs. I have a family, a home, skills to earn decent income and quite a good educational background. My agents and clients are happy with my work. I am more needed. But this does not mean I am better.

The very foundation of my being is just a bewilderingly long chain of chances. I was just lucky enough to be born to a decent couple in a relatively affluent country at a peacetime.

I only happened to get these conditions. I might have been born to an illiterate couple in a very poor mountain minority village in Guizhou province, China. That I was not born there was just by pure luck.

Well, I have made a lot of efforts to make myself marketable in labour market and attractive to the opposite sex. But these efforts are merely a herd little penguins dancing on a gigantic iceberg of luck...

Taking all these things into consideration, I simply cannot think that I am better than anyone. Anyway, a pride in luck is an extremely unenlightened thing.

I had a difficulty in understanding what A Course In Miracles means with the word specialness until yesterday. But I know it now. This kind of pride is the foundation of the belief in separation and is the source of our suffering…

4 件のコメント:

JOEPSC さんのコメント...

We have no choice whatsoever with regard to our parentage or the conditions into which we are borne; I believe that is our personal fate or lot in this world.

We could feel lucky if we are well, but pride should not come into the picture, or else that will be the beginning of a painful journey here.

Peter Yokoyama さんのコメント...

Long time no see, Augustus! Nice to have you here again!

As there is a huge difference in income levels in HK and PRC, many beggars want to come down to HK so that they can beg more money. (A university grad can be hired for as little as US$200 a month in Guangzhou while he’d be paid at least US$1,000 a month in HK.)

But as it is extremely difficult for a beggar to get an exit visa to HK, he asks the HK or PRC mafia to smuggle him. After he arrives in HK, the mafia takes a large portion of his begging income as the fee for taking him to HK. Beggar smuggling is as common between HK and PRC as that of prostitutes.

Ana-chan さんのコメント...

I wish more poeple would think the way you wrote your blog!!!

BRAVO!

Peter Yokoyama さんのコメント...

Augustus: Yeah, they are really evil and sick. They are also exploiting the local people's Buddhist faith that emphasises charity...