2006年7月7日金曜日

I Love Pretending to Be a Fool


I love pretending to be a fool.
With my mouth agape and my eyes looking 45 degrees upward,
Relaxing my shoulders, hips and knees like a chimp,
I know I would not look cool at all
But it’s relaxing and comfortable, anyway!

Pretending to be handsome, I need money and time. Moreover I will have to care about what others would think about me. Not very easy.
But pretending to be a fool, I don’t have to wear suits, don’t have spend money. Actually it’s very economical and might be even very ecological!

Pretending to be smart, I have to worry because I am supposed to know anything including what I have absolutely no idea about.
But pretending to be a fool, I don’t have to worry about complicated question because no one would ask me.

Pretending to be smart, I’ll be in a big trouble if my productivity is low. I have to make efforts all the time. It’s very tiring.
But pretending to be a fool, I can create a miracle with average productivity. And I don’t have to worry much about my productivity is low.

Pretending to be smart, it’s not easy to express any emotions. Pressure would build up so easily that I would soon go mad.
But pretending to be a fool, I can laugh or cry anytime anywhere I like. I can release negative emotions so easily.

Pretending to be smart, I impose on my self the limitations from traditions, common sense or rules. I am not very free.
But pretending to be a fool, I can think free-style. I would be able to come up with a breakthrough so easily!

Pretending to be smart, accepting bondage, I would look like a Confucian or a Protestant. I could be so modern that I am utterly outdated.
But pretending to be a fool, I can wander around freely and would look like a Taoist. I am so post-modern and so avant-garde!

Actually, pretending to be a fool might be very cool!

Pretending to be smart, I will always hear Ego’s criticisms and have to think what others would think about me.
But pretending to be a fool, I can easily hear my True Self’s blessings so I would be always very happy.

But Ego tells me pretending to be a fool is very indecent so it’s actually not very easy.
I really hope that I can more easily be a fool.
Actually, pretending to be a fool needs some practice…

(Translation from Cantonese version)

5 件のコメント:

Ana-chan さんのコメント...

Only fools are tuly happy.To leave some of our IQ behind maybe help us to be a bit more happy, forget the troubles and sorrows of today.

JOEPSC さんのコメント...

It's certainly easier pretending to be a fool and there's much room to manipulate. I don't see why it should be indecent when it takes some humility and not hypocrisy as in the case of trying to be smart.

QUASAR9 さんのコメント...

I'm guessing its nothing to do with IQ. One of the most happy men in Cambridge with several 'degrees' works as a Council street cleaner.
No, not me. I'm not that smart.
The issue is not the wanting, for wanting beauty, money, knowledge is all the same. The NOT wanting, does notmake you a fool, but give you the true wisdom. From your brief profile of you I would say you are no fool but truly wise and therefore truly rich (in Spirit) Q.

Peter Yokoyama さんのコメント...

Q- You are right. But I used the word fool as foolishness is thought be a way to non-Ego behaviour, i.e., peace in Taoism and Zen.

So there are many Zen monks with a name "Something Dumb" or "Dumb Something." And a former Korean president was named "Peaceful Fool" (Tae-woo). You can see that foolishness is rather highly valued in this part of the world, even though it's not mainstream...

Peter Yokoyama さんのコメント...

Joe - Foolishness is indeed very indecent to the people who see the world as a battleground. You can see this from the fact that Pacifists used to be the most hated people in a country in a war...

Prof. Fung You-lan, a prominent Chinese philisopher once said that Taoists were the ultimate fighters as they chose not to struggle in the world struggle was supposed to be the norm.

But for the people who see the world as a playground, relaxed foolishness is rather a positive thing. It's even cute and has a very strong power to attract girls!