2006年7月2日日曜日

I Love to Wash Things

I love to wash things. Dishes, a bathroom, a kitchen ventilator, clothes, except cats, I like to wash anything. So I sometimes wonder, in my past lives, I was not just a cat and a beheaded monk but also a raccoon…

I especially like to do dishes. Finishing one after another, my hands can easily feel the result of my work.

However, as our Thai maid feels that I steal her job, I cannot do dishes now.

So I wash every evening my work uniform drenched with my sweats after the garbage-collection job.

Even though I have a washing machine, I use my hands and the cheapest laundry soap from the mainland China. If I used the washing machine, I could do more meaningful things, but I spend the majority of time, from morning to evening, doing meaningful things. And these things are my duties. (Although one can choose our jobs, it is no longer his/her choice whether s/he works or not today after a job has been chosen.) However, since washing clothes at night is my choice, I am quite willing to do.

While I wash clothes, my hands works and my brain can take a rest for a while. I can free my unconscious mind from the tyranny of conscious mind. It is a good way of stress-reduction. In addition, I feel as if my heart and soul were also cleansed as dirt goes away from my clothes. Actually, a very simple work like doing dishes or laundry is a very effective meditation. It has “the usefulness of uselessness,” which Lao-tzu once said…

6 件のコメント:

Kelvin さんのコメント...

Kia Ora (Hello) Peter from a blogger down under in New Zealand. I was surfing the blog world when your blog popped up. I would like to say thar it is a great blog, with the mix of languages as well as the posts you have wrote about. I would like to mention your blog on my blog Around The World In 80 Blogs if thats okay with you.

Peter Yokoyama さんのコメント...

Thank you, Kelvin. Please go ahead. I'll put the one to yours shortly.

Kelvin さんのコメント...

Thanks Peter !!! Didn't know you were hanging on the line (hehe)It's 12.22pm Sunday, here in NZ.
My email if you want it is kjmkama@yahoo.com

Ana-chan さんのコメント...

washng the dishes to me is like meditation. I love washing dishes. Everyone around thinks it's odd, but they still don't complain of course. I love washing stuff too!

David さんのコメント...

I have to admit, I'm a pleasure dish washer, too. It's a little peace built into each day, and I love to hear the water run.

Peter Yokoyama さんのコメント...

Anna and Dave: I am so happy to find comrades! The dishwashers of the world, unite!