2006年5月25日木曜日

Martin Buber Seen in a Chinese Character

I was very much surprised when I saw my five-year-old son doing homework last evening. That a Hong Kong kindergartener had to do homework did not surprise me as a Hong Konger has to know at least a several thousand complicated Chinese characters just to be literate. (He had done homework almost for two years by now.) But what he wrote did.

He was assigned to write 憤怒(fènnù) or anger roughly a dozen times. Look at this (fèn, to be angry) character. It has as many as 15 strokes! I wondered if an ordinary American kindergartener would be told to remember a big word of the Latin origin such as indignant

And I also noticed how the characters (nù, anger) looked so much like (shù, forgiveness), the one that I mentioned in my last post. The only difference is the elements on the upper right ( yòu and kǒu). Just straightening up two tilted lines and add another line below, anger can be transformed into forgiveness. Maybe turning anger into forgiveness perhaps is this easy…

Well, this view is too superfluous and too vulgar. (Actually it does not explain the origins of these words at all...) So I give you a more formal analysis. is made of the elements (nú, a slave) and (xīn, heart). As a slave’s forced labour requires much power, the element symbolises the power a person puts to his heart to tense it up. So anger is a state that tenses up heart with much power.

Although it is not a traditional interpretation, I also see another meaning in this character: Anger is a slave’s heart. It is an emotion so base, ignoble and un-liberated. When we are angry, we make ourselves slaves to our burning emotions

Then what does or forgiveness is made of? It is made of the elements (rú, similar to) and (xīn, heart). In the character , the meaning of is “similar to oneself.” So means that “forgiveness is a heart that treats someone just like yourself.” Maybe forgiveness is the transformation of “us-them” relationship (which is the source of all hatred) into that of “I-thou.” It sounds quite much like Martin Buber, doesn’t it?

Tags: , , ,

6 件のコメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

This is very beautiful and such a simple example. This makes me realize that forgiveness must indeed be simple too - just a shift in consciousness and voila!

Shining Love Pig さんのコメント...

Interesting stuff this...there`s the old notion that "God" is one letter away from "good", and "Devil" from "evil"...and of course, "evil" is "live" backwards...

...and I`ve just started seriously tackling kanji. I`ve complained before about the constant repitition in Japanese education, but right now I can`t see a better way to remember it. I know about twenty (not including 1-1)...only a couple of thousand to go...

Peter Yokoyama さんのコメント...

Hi, Shining! You'd learn Kanji faster if you pay attention to radicals. Keep a track of how many kanjis you've learnt for each radical and play it just like collecting stamps or bishojo figyuas...

You'll only have to learn 1945 chars to be completely literate in Japanese. A lot easier than being literate in China...

JOEPSC さんのコメント...

I am learning some Chinese characters from you!

Thanks.

David さんのコメント...

I wish people had put as much thought into forming English as they did into forming Chinese...
Is there any term for seeking truths in the way we write words? Maybe we need to make one... How about psychocipherology? :)

Ana-chan さんのコメント...

Your son looks amazingly cute! must be the genes :)
I do not know much about chinese characters, but I know much about poeple's characters. Somehow it seems the same: some are easy, otheres very very complicated and hard to remember...