2006年5月29日月曜日

A Curious Picture

My five-year-old son made a very enigmatic and curious series of drawings at kindergarten a few days ago. I feel something very religious, Jungian from these drawings, especially in the one at end of the series shown on the left.

From the neat arrangement of objects (two clouds, a mysterious sign 示, a snowflake, four stars and two half-spiral patterns) between and two zig-zag lines that look like curtains, I guess this drawing is about sanctification of the sign 示.

Do the curtains symbolise completion (closing) or beginning (opening)? I don't know for sure but I feel it represents some sort of spiritual completion or unity of in my son's heart.

Although I asked my son what this 示 sign meant, he said he did not know. I guess he simply drew something that came out of his heart.

This sign resembles the Chinese character 示 (shì) that means to show. But when it is used as a radical, it is a sign that a character is about religion or divinity (e.g. 神 shén, "god", "divinities", 社 shè, "earth deity" and so on). Its shape came from the alter of an ancient Chinese deity of earth, where that god's message is shown, thus it became the word to show. So even though my son drew this sign without knowing its meaning, it seems to be extremely suggestive, perhaps of the perception of holiness in him.

Also in other drawings in the series, this 示 sign plays the central role. The entire series (below) looks like a growth story of this sign.

In the beginning, my son says that there was nothing but the sea. That is what he can explain. Probably the checkers in the second drawing means the beginning of order. Then a number of 示 signs appears. I think it symbolises birth. But when it appears again, it is alone. My son says that it seems that the sign has gone on a journey. It flows alone in a river, walks under clouds and drifts in the sea.

There are many spiral patterns in this series and I guess it is the sign of mother archtype. They have been drawn intact or larger to the tenth pane but they has withdrawn to corners in the panes 11 and 12. But they are still visible...

I guess this series shows that my son has become somewhat aware of having his own consciousness separate from the people around him. I think it is his way of expressing how the world around him is made and how it will be completed. As I have only thought about these drawings for the past few days, I think I will receive more message from it... What do you think?

1 件のコメント:

David さんのコメント...

Those drawings are great!
I see in the first drawing that there are curtains, but also, the clouds look like eyes. There are so many things going on. The sign even looks like a flying saucer.
He's certainly tapping into the collective spirit.