2006年11月8日水曜日

Why Was School So Boring?

I love to learn new things. Now I spend most of free time to learn Thai as if this cousin of Chinese and Indian languages were my new girlfriend.

I also spare some time to learn psychology, religion and history. I am not as intimate to them as to Thai but they are indeed fascinating friends.

I wonder why I felt those actually very fascinating things so boring at primary and middle schools...

Even though I loved to learn English then, I always felt very sleepy at English classes at school.

I feel when I get an answer to this question, I will be able to provide much better help to my six-year-old son, who feel the school is darn boring.

Any insights?

5 件のコメント:

Shining Love Pig さんのコメント...

I think that teenagers are difficult to teach because in most cases, what's going on inside them is far more interesting and relevant to them than anything an "establishment" figure can tell them...

Younger children are like sponges, more willing to learn and excited by new things...I think what's needed in middle school is a combination of willingness to lear from the students, and skilled teachers.

Ana-chan さんのコメント...

i think when we are young time seems to be endles. Remeber summer holidays they seemed like a whole year. thus the whole process of sitting in school and learning seemed endless, tideous, hard and BOORING!

:)

JOEPSC さんのコメント...

When there is something boring, a comaparison must exist.

When we were young, we unconsciously compared our subjects of study to each other, and ended up with some we found boring. And worse, if we compared studying as a whole to say, playing soccer, we might have given up schooling altogether.

So I believe if we can discover what is that "interest" a kid has in mind, compared to the thing he finds boring, we may be able to help him turn what is boring to something he will crave for.

匿名 さんのコメント...

If I find something boring it is always my attitude which is boring and therefore needs changing. As a child when I told my mother that I found a lesson at school dull, she would encourage me to pay close attention and participate and voila, the lesson started to be fun.

Peter Yokoyama さんのコメント...

Thank you everyone for the useful comments...

I am still struggling with how to teach Chinese to him. (He is a native speaker of the language and I am not...)