2006年11月5日日曜日

Meditation through Language-learning



I have hand-copied more than twenty lessons of Manee Reader, a Thai primary school textbook.


Although I still cannot read a Thai newspaper, the exotic Thai scripts are no longer an alien writing system to me. Now I know better that repetition is quite a good way of language acquisition.


And copying at least some of this textbook before going to bed every night has not only made me familiar to this lovely (but awfully complicated) language but also given an opportunity of meditation.


I can empty my mind by concentrating on looking at the text and correctly writing each word of it. This usually frees me from thinking about twenty minutes. And pleasant fatigue from a light work also helps me sleep better.


Now I know why Chinese and Japanese Buddhists love to hand-copy sutras. It is indeed a good Zen meditation. They can free their minds while exposing themselves to the sacred teaching...


And I feel Manee Reader is indeed a sacred text. The stories of happy childhood can provide a safe haven to anyone...

2 件のコメント:

匿名 さんのコメント...

Oh, you are learning Thai as well? So great, Peter!

Ana-chan さんのコメント...

i think copying texts is definitely calming... and I agree it somehow clears your mind