2006年8月28日月曜日

Manee Has Eyes, a Crow Has Eyes...

Recently, I have started learning the Thai language seriously. Although I have been married to a Thai for more than eight years, I only know a few northeasestern Thai phrases (actually, these are Lao phrases) so I felt a bit ashamed when I visited Chiang Mai earlier this month. That's the reason why I picked up a children's penmanship book at a bookstore in a northern Thai city...

Thai is really a tough language. Well, it is phonetically easy as I already speak one tonal language (Cantonese dialect of Chinese). The grammar is also very easy as Thai nouns and verbs have no changes, just like Chinese. But I am struggling with its script. It is extremely complicated....

There are more than a few letters that represent the "s" sound. Almost every consonant has at least two letters. Well, it is not entirely irrational as each consonant letter not only represent the consonant value but also tone. But some consonants have more letters than the tones require.... I guess these letters represent the sounds that are different in Pali or Sanskrit but the same in Thai so that the reader can know the origin.

But I am still not defeated by the legion of mighty Thai letters. I want to make it my fourth language (after Japanese, English and Cantonese). Well, I like Thailand so it would not too tough, though...

I am now learning Thai, using an primary school textbook called Manee Reader. It is about a rural Thai girl called Manee and starts with "Manee has eyes, a crow has eyes, the uncle has eyes." Reciting the simple Thai phrases like a fool, I cried. I don't know why.

But I know it is not tears of sorrow but of joy. I guess it is the joy that comes from the hope of growth. Living in a developing country, Thais still have much more dreams than the ones from developed countries... I envy them.

4 件のコメント:

Kelvin さんのコメント...

Hello from down udner in New Zealand. Yes - tears of joy, having taken that first important step in learning a new language. Four languages !!! Boy, I only speak one - english - and not very good either !!! (hehe) Take care & all the best from NZ

匿名 さんのコメント...

To have eyes is a blessing, esp. when I use them to see only good.
What might have touched you is that the Creator's Love is impartial: I have eyes, the crow has eyes and the uncle has eyes. Yes, and God has eyes too and they are beholding only pure Love, Itself.

Ana-chan さんのコメント...

Good luck with the thai.. i sure cannot pass beyong khapun kaa and savadi kaa.. or SANUK!!


SAnuk SAnuk

Pema さんのコメント...
このコメントはブログの管理者によって削除されました。